Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hopes for Economic Recovery?

To all those who are affirming their collective asses off; to all those of you who are preparing for the inevitable upswing, I have to ask:

Is 'business as usual' really the best fucking scenario you can up with?

Every time I am in earshot of: "Things 'are not so bad', or "It's a great time to buy as the market is bottoming,"I want to projectile vomit.

What you are saying is:

"Who knows, if we are lucky we can continue to rape and degrade the biosphere. Maybe we can up the extinction rate to 300 species a day? Yea! While we are at it, let's find more kids to frog-march into the Bangladeshi sweatshops! In addition, we can all ingest evermore cancer-causing chemicals; we can turn a blind eye while our children's brains continue to be beleaguered with the burdens of ADHD and autism.

"Let's continue to fight our usual wars and ignore the everyday collateral damage - the inconvenient and utterly innocent corpses of women and children.

"If we cross our fingers and wish upon a far away sun, we may get all our usual anodyne messages from the TV (and all our favorite reality shows.)

"Yes, it's going to be great: we will all continue buying compact flourescent lightbulbs, and smelling our 'greener by the day' farts."

I am unequivocal. Damn your despicable recovery hopes (and the insane and addicted civilization that promulgates them.)

I want no part of it. I am a doomer not just because of an absence of hope. It is far more proactive than that. Doom is the only rationality I have. It tells me that this 5000 year old death-urge must cease or somehow be irreversibly stalled - even if it leads to our complete annihilation.

I do not subscribe to the scintillating 'new car smell' version of the future.

No comments: